Welcome to The DAM Operators Network
Register now to gain access to most of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create new topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger program, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.
This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Force Fed Hopper = Breach Breaks?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic
Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis
  • from Mount Vernon, WA, USA
  • Last active: Aug 21 2013 07:16 PM

Posting this everywhere I can find DAM owners in the hopes of finding a solution...

Anyone else having issues using a force fed hopper with their DAM? Every time I stick a force fed (Halo and Prophecy so far) on my DAM I get breach breaks. As in no more than 10-20 shots before breaking a ball in the breach. And yes, I'm completely stripping and cleaning when I get a breach break, it's not due to a dirty marker.

After a breach break the feed neck is ~clean, but all of the eye pipe is a mess. I cant tell if it's truly chopping or if the front bolt o-ring is just dragging paint everywhere in the eye-pipe.

As soon as I swap over to an agitated gravity fed the problem is greatly reduced, maybe even eliminated...at least a hopper or two between breaks.

Hugely disappointing for such an expensive gun, and terrible advertising. Everyone was stoked to see one in person, than massively unimpressed when it performed like a blender.

Is there something with the eye pipe system that I should be looking at? The detents seem good...

Tackleberry
  • 64 posts
  • I'm shane
  • from slough
  • Team: Task Force Delta
  • Last active: Jun 12 2013 06:05 PM

Hmmm try checking that the bit that holds the eyepipe in place is tight or adjust the torque setting on the feeder.
I've hand no problems with my rotor check pic for bit I'm talking about.

prob1_zps7e7eb0db.jpg

RandomJim
  • 170 posts
  • I'm James
  • from Bournemouth, UK
  • Last active: Mar 06 2014 01:08 PM
As Shane said, check the hopper torque as if its pushing too hard it will cause excess strain on the already fragile paint. You could also check to make sure your eyepipe is aligned straight... Do you still get breaks from magfed? If not then it is your hopper ;)

sig.giffb.png

Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis

Huh, so too much torque on the barrel thread insert you think?  How much is too much?  (mine didn't come with a manual and DYE just referred me to the DM12 manual online)  The barrel wobbles around if that thing is too loose...

I haven't run much paint through mag fed...I'll try cycling some through this weekend.  Two different hoppers and the same problem, but when I switch to a gravity fed hopper (agitated), the problem goes away.  

Thanks for the feedback.

Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis

Still didn't have time to blast some paint through today, but I noticed that the bolt actually since quite a ways back, letting the paint roll back quite a ways.  This was actually a major issue for some guns when the halos and other force feds first came out.  With the bolt face so far back the next ball in the stack can partially load.  I'm not sure if my DAM is that bad, but it's certainly worse than my mag (lower image for comparison):

img20130202220313.jpg

Automag (bolt fully retracted, ie aired up):

img20130202220406.jpg

Tackleberry
  • 64 posts
  • I'm shane
  • from slough

Sorry wasn't clear enough with my previous post check that the barrel thread insert is tight and also the torque(feed pressure) setting on your loader is not set to high as this could cause the double feeding you mentioned. If the torque setting it will force the ball partially past the dents also the diameter of the could be a issue.

Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis
Barrel insert is tight, but the older halos don't have adjustable feed pressure.

RandomJim
  • 170 posts
  • I'm James
  • from Bournemouth, UK
  • Last active: Mar 06 2014 01:08 PM
If a gravity hopper works, magfed works but a forcefeed chops then there's the problem no?

sig.giffb.png

Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis
Yes, that is the problem. The two force feed that work on my other guns don't work on my new gun. (Tested this with a borrowed prophecy as well) I don't think the hopper, that works on other guns, is at fault...I think the dam is not working properly and I'd like to fix it. From the above picture it's pretty clear that the dam is permitting a little of the next ball in the stack to load. If there is enough pressure on the stack when the bolt comes forward the balls won't be able to back up without cracking.... I'll need to run more paint through the mag feed option to double check that I'm not getting breaks there. I just haven't used it very much. Even if it does feed cleanly most of the time, I still will have a hopper problem. I shouldn't have to run gravity feed after spending this much cash. What would be really helpful is if someone else could see if their dam has the same rearward bolt position or if mine has some funny tolerance stack up.

Tackleberry
  • 64 posts
  • I'm shane
  • from slough

Comparison photo for you.

IMG_20130203_182134_zps4a39ba25.jpg

Looks the same to me just read back through the thread you mention no manual.

http://www.forum.dam...dex.php?/files/

Sorted ;)  :)

Right next questions for you what dwell setting and what was the temp.

Sterling500
  • 14 posts
  • I'm Travis
Awesome. Thanks for the comparison! I replaced the whole eye pipe, plastic retaining clip and detents. No manual, but it did come with spare parts at least... Anyways, 100 rounds gravity fed full auto at 15bps just to make sure the eyes had something to do. No breaks. 20 rounds mag feed full auto, no breaks. 180 rounds through the halo at full auto, no breaks! Very happy morning. I did notice that the detents in my parts kit had been bent inwards a ways making them stiffer than maybe they should be.... Going to try and order some more spare parts now. Thanks for the feedback. Sent using Tapatalk 2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users